The Ministry of Information and Communications Technology has lifted the suspension of SIM card registration exercise which was imposed on February 13, 2018.
Minister responsible, Nicholas Dausi told Parliament on Wednesday that all anomalies have so far been addressed.
“The ministry is satisfied that appropriate measures have been taken to address the concerns that the general public expressed on the exercise,” he said.
Dausi said the Malawi Communications Regulatory Authority (MACRA) has been advised to extend the registration period beyond the earlier deadline of March 31, 2018.
The minister said the new deadline for the registration exercise will be communicated soon.
He said Mobile Phone Service operators have undertaken steps to make the registration convenient to the public.
“Robust awareness campaign will continue to be undertaken in order to assist in ensuring a smooth registration exercise,” Dausi said.
He said the registration is part of the requirements of the new Communications Act of 2015.