Government says no Malawian has died in xenophobic attacks against foreign nationals in South Africa.
The recent spate of attacks against foreign nationals started on March 25, 2019 mainly in Durban.
A statement by the minister of Information and Communications Technology Henry Mussa said so far two Malawians have been confirmed injured while some 300 are displaced.
The statement said the Malawi Mission in South Africa has visited the affected Malawians and engaged the South African authorities to guarantee the safety of Malawians.
“Our Mission is also consulting on voluntary return of 105 Malawians who will be sponsored by the International Organization for Migration (IOM),” the statement reads.
According to the statement, government is doing everything that is possible to secure the safety and welfare of all Malawians who are staying in South Africa.