3 electrocuted in Blantyre

Three casual workers have died after being electrocuted while fixing banners at Chichiri Shopping Mall in Blantyre, police say.

The three were electrocuted after the ladder which they were using fell on Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi (ESCOM) live power lines.

One person was severely burnt and was admitted at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital on Sunday.

Public Relations Officer for Blantyre Police Station, Augustus Nkhwazi identified the deceased as Harold Chisakasa, 30, Cronwell Biliati, 29 both from Ntcheu district and Kriswell Jenda, 25, from Zomba district.

“Chisakasa was residing in Ndirande, Jenda in Kubaluti and ┬áBiliati was based at Chirimba in Blantyre,” Nkhwazi said.

He said postmortem examinations will be conducted on Monday June 11, 2018 at Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital in Blantyre.

Meanwhile, ESCOM Public Relations Manager, Innocent Chitosi has called on the general public to always engage the electricity supplier when carryout maintenance works anywhere near live wires.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *