A month has passed since the investigation was launched in the shooting of Paramount Chief Kawinga of Machinga district and the culprits are yet to be arrested.
The 63 year old chief, whose real name is Maxwell Mataka, and two other members of his family were injured after being attacked by a group of armed thugs at his residence on the night of January 28.
Eastern Region Police Spokesperson, Inspector Joseph Sauka, disclosed that no one has so far been arrested in connection with the incident.
Inspector Sauka said: “As of now the investigations are at an advanced stage and we are confident that the suspects will be brought to book very soon.”
However Sauka declined to disclose as to when the investigations will be finalized saying the public will be communicated once the work is over.
“I can’t give you the time frame because the investigations involves a lot of issues to be considered and right now we are looking at all the angles,” Inspector Sauka said.
Reacting on the allegations by other people including traditional leaders from Machinga, who think that the motive of the thugs were to eliminate the life of the chief rather than just to still from him, Inspector Sauka expressed ignorance on the allegations.
“Am hearing this from you but when doing investigations we look into different areas and that point will be looked into seriously, but this can be done after we have made the arrests,” he said.
However Inspector Sauka could not give the current healthy status of the chief saying the District Commissioner for Machinga is the right person to give such details.
The thugs also went away with money amounting to K1 million kwacha and 3 mobile phones and he was admitted at Zomba District Hospital before being referred to Mwaiwanthu Private Hospital in Blantyre.