Egenco eyes alternative sources of power

Plans for power diversification are going very well at the Electricity Generation Company (Egenco).

Recently the company commissioned a solar power plant at Chizumulu Island lifting the burden of using diesel power generators for the people on the Island.

YONECO FM website spoke to Assistant Public Relations Officer for Egenco, Mervin Mchenga who said the company will continue building solar plants and exploring other sources of power.

“The solar power plant at Chizumulu was commissioned on the 8th of December 2020 and the power supply on the island has improved.”

Business and tourism activities are expected to be boosted with the coming in of the solar power plants.

Currently Egenco has plans to ensure 75 % of their power is hydro and the other 25% should go towards solar, coal, gas among others.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *