Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) in Malawi are calling for an emergency meeting of all Southern African Development Community (SADC) heads of State and government to address the latest xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
The recent spate of attacks against foreign nationals in South Africa started on March 25, 2019 mainly in Durban.
So far no Malawian has died in the xenophobic attacks which have claimed the lives of two foreign nationals.
Chairperson for Malawi Civil Society Led Black Economic Empowerment Movement (MaBLEM) Maxwell Mkwezelamba has since condemned the attacks.
“The attacks are not welcome in a democratic society more importantly within SADC,” he said.
Mkwezalamba also blamed South African President Cyril Ramaphosa for the resurgence of the attacks.
He claimed that Ramaphosa called for a clamp down on what he termed as ‘illegal’ settlers and entrepreneurs.
MaBLEM has since threatened to sue the South African government if no action is taken to compensate the loss of life and property.
“The current xenophobic attacks have been propelled by remarks which were made by President of South Africa Cyril Ramaphosa so it is only right that we hold the president accountable personally as well as his government because he was communicating his government’s position,” Mkwezalamba said.